Re: *-di kernels break multi-kernel bootimage support.

Am Don, den 18.12.2003 schrieb Thiemo Seufer um 17:59:
> Hello All,
>
> i just found that the new *-di kernel flavour puts its kernel image in
> /boot/vmlinu{x,z}. This breaks the support for building several boot
> images of the same type but with different kernels.
If I understand you right you want to have more than one kernel on the
same boot media, correct?
Are these really different kernels (seperate buids with different
options) or different images from the same build (like the different
powerpc images which only differ in the in-kernel bootstrap stuff)?

In the first case I ask myself if the current design of d-i is capable
to support this because this would mean that we have to provide
different kernel-modules udebs too. AFAIK the linux-kernel-di does not
include the flavour in the udeb name.
In the second case the same modules udebs could be used and this should
be fixed. It probably has to be fixed anyway for powerpc.

But then I'm asking myself why your udeb kernel is in /boot/. I have
never seen that. On powerpc cd-images kernels are in /install/<flavour>
and on floppys you probably can't have more than one kernel anyway and
for netbooting it does not matter because you have to copy your kernel
to the boot-server and it's downloaded directly from there. Are you sure
you don't mix normal kernel debs (which indeed should go to /boot/ but
are not provided by linux-kernel-di) and udebs made from
linux-kernel-di?

Gaudenz