Re: cdebconf menu location

Alastair McKinstry wrote:
> The point of putting it there was that many users weren't aware
> they _could_ change the priority, and ask more questions
> (eg the kbd-chooser default issue). It pretty much needs to be asked to be noticed;
> people just fail to read the boot splash screen.

But there has been nothing on the boot help screens about it until a few
weeks ago, so we really don't know if users will read that and if that
will be sufficient, or if this more obtrusive prompt is needed. Can't we
at least try keeping it on the boot help screens for a while and see if
that is enough?

Also, I think the goal should be to get things right, by using the
correct priorities for questions, detecting errors and falling back
appropriatly, etc. Not plaster over it by making the user make such a
choice.

> I agree that its ugly, though, and probably deserves to be re-written. I'd leave
> that until after the string freeze, though, and for people with better English
> than me (eg Christian Perrier :-))

It's beyond ugly, it's not written for the correct audience or context.
I wrote that text for knowledeable users intentionally reconfiguring
debconf, not for the second thing new users will see on a debian
install.

--
see shy jo