Re: status of pppoe support in d-i ?

Marco d'Itri wrote:
> joeyh@debian.org wrote:
>
> >> Which one of the images? How big will it be?
> >> Is the netinstall initrd full?
> >I see no reason to put it on the CD initrd, but it can be added to the
> What is the CD initrd used for? Do you mean the hd-media initrd?

It's used for booting the CD.

> >business card CD, where it will be available to the installer to use to
> >download debs.
> This would be acceptable but annoying, as the business card image is
> about 50 MB big.

Still potentially useful for those who end up using that ISO though.

> > It could also be put on the net_drivers floppy, for use
> >with a 3 floppy full net/ppp install. That floppy currently has only 71k
> >free (but already includes ppp and serial port modules), so if that is
> >not enough space, we'd need a separate ppp_drivers floppy.
> Do not forget that the ppp modules are useless without ppp-udeb, so you
> either find the 200 KB needed by it or remove these too.

If the udeb is 200k then we'll need to split all that off to a separate
ppp_drivers floppy.

> BTW, what are the serial port modules supposed to be used for? ppp-udeb
> does not support setting up a dialup connection (it lacks chat(8) and a
> configuration front end).

They were probably included initially in the expectation that we'd have
ppp support on there sometime, I don't know.

> Anyway, if the plan is to support pppoe with three floppies then I think
> this part could be skipped, probably users who cannot boot a pppoe
> initrd from the network or from an USB drive would prefer to download
> the business card CD image rather than mess with floppies.

Some people do not have CD drives.

--
see shy jo