Re: status of pppoe support in d-i ?

joeyh@debian.org wrote:

>> Which one of the images? How big will it be?
>> Is the netinstall initrd full?
>I see no reason to put it on the CD initrd, but it can be added to the
What is the CD initrd used for? Do you mean the hd-media initrd?

>business card CD, where it will be available to the installer to use to
>download debs.
This would be acceptable but annoying, as the business card image is
about 50 MB big.

> It could also be put on the net_drivers floppy, for use
>with a 3 floppy full net/ppp install. That floppy currently has only 71k
>free (but already includes ppp and serial port modules), so if that is
>not enough space, we'd need a separate ppp_drivers floppy.
Do not forget that the ppp modules are useless without ppp-udeb, so you
either find the 200 KB needed by it or remove these too.
BTW, what are the serial port modules supposed to be used for? ppp-udeb
does not support setting up a dialup connection (it lacks chat(8) and a
configuration front end).

Anyway, if the plan is to support pppoe with three floppies then I think
this part could be skipped, probably users who cannot boot a pppoe
initrd from the network or from an USB drive would prefer to download
the business card CD image rather than mess with floppies.

--
ciao,
Marco