Re: cd-images with custom kernels

Teemu Ikonen wrote:
> I'd like to test debian-installer on a brand new PC with an ASUS A7V600
> motherboard. This motherboard contains a 3Com 3C940 ethernet controller,
> which is not supported even in the mainstream stable kernels and thus my
> attempt at installing sarge with the Beta 1 debian-installer images
> (netinstall) stalled on the network device detection.

I suppose you could just continue past that and do a CD install. Of
course you'd then have to get a fixed kernel onto the installed machine
somehow before it could be put on the net.

> I've now successfully built a kernel-image .deb with a patched 2.4.22 kernel
> source, which should support the 3C940. Is there a howto or some other
> documentation on building d-i cdrom images with a custom kernel and modules?
> I tried to decipher the documentation on d-i CVS, but must have missed the
> necessary information, if it was there in the first place.

We're not at the point of having a HOWTO for this yet. What you need to
look at is the linux-kernel-di package (kernel/linux-kernel-di in CVS),
whose README describes how to make it generate udebs from a kernel-image
.deb. Then you'll want to look at the debian-installer source package
(AKA the build/ directory in CVS), whose README describes how to put
udebs in localudebs, and how to build it. You'll probably have to edit
something in its config/ directory to make it use your new kernel
version.

People have gotten custom kernels to work I know, but I'm still waiting
for a real HOWTO from someone who knows how to do it.

--
see shy jo