Re: beta released

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 04:09:48PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 03:30:31PM +0100, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, is that not the idea ? I have no trouble with that, i just need to
> > > add the necessary magic to linux-kernel-di.
> > Yes that is the idea. I just wanted to make sure that you agree. You
>
> Yes, i do, now that i understand better the way linux-kernel-di works.
> The new packages have to make it to the archive though, before anything
> can happen on this front.
>
> > don't have to add much magic to linux-kernel-di. I already did that for
> > the powerpc-pmac and powerpc-small-pmac flavours. So we are already able
>
> Basically, we would have to get the modules from the kernel-module
> packages, and the kernels from each individual kernel-image package.

Ok, using the netinst initrd, i was able to build a kernel-image from
the kernel-build package (using a small script i will include in the
next revision of the kernel-build package). This means the problem is
that the standard cdrom image is too big to be builtin, at least on chrp
(don't know about chrp-rs6k and prep). I was in communication with
Benjamin Herrenschmidt about this issue, and he spoke of some fixes in
the pmac zImage build-in code, so it is possible that we could also
create pmac kernel+initrd images, and that it should work even with the
bigger images. I don't know if this would be usefull though, but maybe
if someone with a pmac can test those it would be nice.

That said, the netinst image i tried was not very usefull, since it had
no languages, and network hardware detection did not work, but i don't
know if this was due to me using a 2.4.22-2 kernel with 2.4.22-1
modules, or some brokeness of the netinst initrd images, but we can sort
this out once the problem of the initrd is solved.

Anyway, once the 2.4.22-2 kernel goes in, or maybe the 2.4.22-3 i will
soon upload, we can :

  o Modify linux-kernel-di so it fetches kernels and modules from the
    kernel-image and kernel-module packages.

  o Build the initrd using that.

  o After having created the initrds, unpack the corresponding
    kernel-build package, launch the little script included in it
    (script /path/to/initrd.gz), and then copy the built kernel+initrd
    to their definitive place. Their place being either the CD images,
    or some standalone place to download them from the net, since in
    theory it should be possible to do an install with only the net and
    these single file.

Once we have that, i will ask for testing of these images on the
corresponding subarches.

Friendly,

Sven Luther