Re: beta released

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 14:58, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 02:56:28PM +0100, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 13:39, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 07:08:49PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> > > BTW, can i now remove the udeb packages from the powerpc kernel packages ?
> > Yes, if you agree that they should be handeld by linux-kernel-di.
>
> Well, is that not the idea ? I have no trouble with that, i just need to
> add the necessary magic to linux-kernel-di.
Yes that is the idea. I just wanted to make sure that you agree. You
don't have to add much magic to linux-kernel-di. I already did that for
the powerpc-pmac and powerpc-small-pmac flavours. So we are already able
to produce the same images as we had prior to the new release. What we
need is a way to support all the other powerpc subarchitectures.
It's probably the best to find a way how we can make severel
kernel-image udebs in one run (for one line in kernel-versions -> see
linux-kernel-di). One for each subarchitecture. The module udebs will
stay the same for all the subarchitectures.
Additionaly we need a way to handle architectures which need builtin
initrds. AFAIK anybody would appreciate an addition to the current build
system to build images for them. It would be nice, if this solution
works not only for powerpc but also for other archs that face the same
problem. Probably it would be best to talk to Karsten Merker
(merker@debian.org) as he is working on the mips port and has the same
problem. AFAIK you already have some ideas how this could be done.

gaudenz