Re: beta released

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 03:30:31PM +0100, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 14:58, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > Yes, if you agree that they should be handeld by linux-kernel-di.
> >
> > Well, is that not the idea ? I have no trouble with that, i just need to
> > add the necessary magic to linux-kernel-di.
> Yes that is the idea. I just wanted to make sure that you agree. You

Yes, i do, now that i understand better the way linux-kernel-di works.
The new packages have to make it to the archive though, before anything
can happen on this front.

> don't have to add much magic to linux-kernel-di. I already did that for
> the powerpc-pmac and powerpc-small-pmac flavours. So we are already able

Basically, we would have to get the modules from the kernel-module
packages, and the kernels from each individual kernel-image package.

Additionally we would need to use the debian-build package to produce
the kernels with builtin initrd, but this hasn't been sucessfull for me,
i somewhat fear that the initrd are too big to be builtin (the limit is
at 3.2Mo or something such, or maybe 4Mo - kernel size (1.5Mo). The
woody boot-floppy root.bin is easily embeddable, but any try with the
d-i initrd fails to find init.

Finally, we would need to add support for powerpc/apus. I will be
looking at this with goswin, and maybe simon or michael. I have contact
with many other apus using folk too, which would be ready to test those
images.

> to produce the same images as we had prior to the new release. What we
> need is a way to support all the other powerpc subarchitectures.

Yep, but first the ftp-master have to accept the new kernel images.

> It's probably the best to find a way how we can make severel
> kernel-image udebs in one run (for one line in kernel-versions -> see
> linux-kernel-di). One for each subarchitecture. The module udebs will
> stay the same for all the subarchitectures.

Yes, except apus/powerpc/powerpc-small, which will cause 3 root images
containing 3 set of modules.

> Additionaly we need a way to handle architectures which need builtin
> initrds. AFAIK anybody would appreciate an addition to the current build

Yep, as said, i have been working on that, but altough i can use woody
root.bin for it, the current d-i images fail.

> system to build images for them. It would be nice, if this solution
> works not only for powerpc but also for other archs that face the same

Yep, altough other arches (sparc in particular) have the piggyback tool
to handle this.

> problem. Probably it would be best to talk to Karsten Merker
> (merker@debian.org) as he is working on the mips port and has the same
> problem. AFAIK you already have some ideas how this could be done.

Ok, i will see with him, but also contact the linux-ppc folk to see
about the limit of embedded initrds.

Friendly,

Sven Luther