Re: Slow redraws in the debootstrap stage

Denis Barbier wrote:
> I am mainly interested to know whether it breaks anything.
> If not, I want to apply this patch even if it does not fix any obvious
> problem, because it makes it very easy to add a "Working, please wait"
> text on the root window which will become visible when no windows are
> displayed.  To do so, add
>   newtDrawRootText(width/2-11, height/2, "Working, please wait...");
> at the end of newt_initialize().

In that case, I tested the patch with a 3 floppy + CD install in. I
suspended that session after it started to retreive debs from the CD.

There is one weird thing I do not understand. Remember the black
character at the bottom-right corner? Well, it is now one line higher
than it used to be. I made sure to refresh the screen, this is not a
transient glitch. Strange. Later on in the install it moved to the
bottom where I expect it.

After cfdisk runs, the screen is corrupted. Looks like cdebconf draws
the next dialog box on top of what cdebconf left on the screen, without
clearing it. I don't know if it's related, but I then ran a shell from
the menu, and the terminal was in stair-step mode. Never seen that
before. I was interested to see if what I had done in the shell would
remain on the screen when I got back to the menu, but it jumped into
high priority mode and ran something that immediatly displayed a red
error, which redrew the screen, so I don't know.

The progress bar dialog does of course resize a few times, even with
debootstrap fixes, since the descriptions of some kernel modules are
rather long. I wish it would only grow bigger, not smaller..

--
see shy jo