Re: ppp-udeb

On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 12:22:23PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Oct 18, Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
>  >Sorry to be late about this, but i think that removing plugin support is
>  >not so nice, especially as you then loose pppoatm support, and this
>  >would mean no installation over pppoatm ADSL modems.
> You are *very* late, as ppp-udeb was killed a few weeks ago because
> nobody could find an use for it.
> Lack of pppd in udeb form does not mean that net install will be
> impossible, it just requires something like the current net install
> mini-CD, with a set of regular .deb to install on the installed system.
>
>  >And yes, i plan to somehow make the unicorn drivers available as udebs,
>  >altough i don't know yet how i will achieve that and since they are
>  >non-free, they cannot go into the official medias.
> If I have not missed some, looks like that *all* pppoatm modems share
> this problem because even if the driver is free it has to upload a
> firmware which we cannot redistribute.

What do you think about Goswin's solution, and building both a ppp-udeb
and a ppp+plugin-udeb package. The normal ppp-udeb is the one used by
the normal d-i, while the ppp+plugin-udeb could be put together with the
non-free per device .udebs on a floppy or something, and then loaded by
d-i.

Friendly,

Sven Luther