powerpc per subarch kernels and builtin initrd (was Re: Integrating the debian-installer into the archive)

On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 10:53:56AM +0200, Thorsten Sauter wrote:

> * Anthony Towns <ajt@debian.org> [2003-10-03 19:26]:
> | I doubt it's possible to use the regular autobuilders personally (I expect
> | you'll require root privleges to mount filesystems for instance). If
> | it is possible, that's cool. Either way, you'll need to work out how to
> | automate the builds yourselves, and tell everyone else.
>
> yes. this is possible.
>
> The only question is, what happens with the generated images? Bilding an
> deb packages? Copy to some other place during the build proccess (in debian/rules:scp)?
>
> Or dos this means we have a new package in the archive, which generated
> images for d-i. In this case, debian/rules must simply copy the images
> in the deb. Maybe a not so bad idea?

BTW, what will happen for arches (or subarches) which need to build a
kernel with initrd builtin ?

Are the modules udeb used during the creation of d-i image ? Or are they
only used later one, when creating the CD image ?

If they are not used, it could be envisionable to create the
kernel+initrd from the kernel-patch package build, or something such.

BTW2, i have almost finished producing valable powerpc kernels with per
subarch kernel-images and udebs, would you like to give them a try, to
see if they work at least for your pmac ? I will try to build d-i myself
and test them out, but i would like to have them tested on pmac.

I have also located a potential chrp-rs6k tester, which would leave us
only with the need of oldworld tester and prep tester.

Friendly,

Sven Luther