re: sarge-i386-1.iso bootable image...NOT INSTALLING

tor 2003-05-29 klockan 18.22 skrev Nathan Mellin:
> Karcsi,
>
> Tried the sarge-i386-1.iso install which i burnt to

Where did you download it? We can't help you unless you tell us exactly
which image you used, so we can try to reproduce your problems.

> cdrom (CDR), boots fine but the install program is
> lousy - much worse than the stable release of debian

The new installer is called debian-installer, and it's completely
written from scratch and completely different from boot-floppies. If
it's lousy, it's because it's in alpha. No, not even beta.

> where we can't get PCMCIA working (that's where

As far as I know, there's no PCMCIA support in debian-installer yet.

> >1.choose language
> >2.choose keyboard...
> >3.detect cdrom devices and mount
> >4.load installer modules
> >5.verify the cd contents
> >6.execute a shell
>
> (either i can enter each time thereby selecting the
> default value or i can select each option and choose
> something different, number 4. fails every time
> producing the below error message:
>
> Failed to retrieve installer module
> Retrieving the module libc-udeb failed for know
> reasons. Aborting. [press enter to continue]
>
> Let me know if you can explain any of this, i was
> hoping it would work, sorry for the bother, cheers,

If you tell us which image you used, we can try to reproduce it. The
error message wouldn't say "unknown reasons" if the program knew the
reason.

/Martin
--
Martin Sjögren