Re: Kudzu in Debian

tir, 2003-05-06 kl. 23:30 skrev Geert Stappers:
> On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 11:25:56AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > [Joey Hess]
> > > I hope you're not proposing defaulting debian to some kind of
> > > kudzu-like auto-detect-hw-on-boot thing. If so, I have about 5 acres
> > > of urls to stories of that failing to dig up and post here.
> >
> > Please tell your stories.  I am talking about installing the discover
> > package by default.  I have only positive experiences with this, so it
> > will be interesting to hear about your problems.
> >

> Hardware is constant. It does not change.
> There is no reason to check each boot that it didn't change.

It has happened to me several times that hardware have gone to hell, and
that happends to hardware. If you are dealing with old hardware, it also
happends easilier.

I installed Debian on an old Compaq. I delivered it to the woman who was
gonna have it. Next day she called me, and told me that it didn't worked
anymore. It happend nothing when she pushed the power button. I said
that the easiest thing to do was to buy and old new machine, for about
1000 NOK, that was good enough for her use. She did so, and I moved her
harddrive from the old box, to her new box. It detected everything
itself, and startet kde. Thanx to discover it took me almost no time at
all.

I'm often testing hardware, and changes different stuff, and I really
appreciate discover. Can't remind that i've ever had problems with it.

- Siv Elisabeth