Re: Install report (2003-04-30)

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Joe Nahmias]
> > Why throw away that information and start from scratch trying to
> > detect the hardware, when we know what works?
>
> Well, I would turn the question around, and ask why should we hardcode
> which modules to load when we can load the needed modules dynamically.
> This way the installation will keep working even if some HW is
> replaced.

I hope you're not proposing defaulting debian to some kind of kudzu-like
auto-detect-hw-on-boot thing. If so, I have about 5 acres of urls to
stories of that failing to dig up and post here.

It's hard enough to get the right modules worked out once, by detection
(which sometimes fails) and manual tweaking. Trying to get it right
every boot is not suitable for production machines.

--
see shy jo