Re: PXE netboot install attempt report (2003-05-06)

ons 2003-05-07 klockan 06.16 skrev Joe Nahmias:
> 1) Configuring the network using DHCP failed.  The image had netcfg-dhcp
> 0.22 installed, and it reported very simply:
>
> No dhcp client found. I cannot continue.
> This package requires pump or dhcp-client.
>
> I worked around this by configuring using a static IP.  It seems kinda bad
> if there is no DHCP client on the image -- especially for a netboot
> oriented image.  Anyone know why this is?

That's...very strange, the netboot image should have pump installed. I
don't understand why this didn't work.

> 3) Couldn't create a swap partition.  As reported ad nauseum, mkswap is
> once again missing from the image.  Can anyone say why the image is back
> to using busybox instead of busybox-cvs?  Is there something wrong with
> - -cvs to cause us not to use it?

There have been problems with overwriting busybox-udeb with busybox-cvs,
yes, but we're working on them, and Bastian has been fixing some bugs in
busybox-cvs modutils code, but soon busybox-cvs will hopefully be up to
speed and can be used on the boot medium.

> All in all, it's not so bad.  Two problems (1,3) are related to the image
> itself, #4 is a simple patch to base-installer.postinst, and the other two
> are real (new?) problems.  Let me know if you want me to file bugs for the
> last two, and against which packages they should go (2 is easy, 5 I don't
> know).

5 is, as it says, kernel-installer. I don't know what happened there...
The base-installer problem sounds really strange.

/Martin
--
Martin Sjögren
  sjogren@debian.org -- marvin@dum.chalmers.se