Re: tftp net booting problems

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 11:40:04AM +0200, Vincent Lenders wrote:
> I am trying to install Debian stable via tftp. My hardware is a Set Top
> Box (STB3036N) from GCT Allwell. It has a Geode processor which is
> Pentium (i386) compatible and a TVIA CyberPro 5005 Video Chipset. I
> tried to boot with the three different flavors of tftpboot.img from the
> location you mentioned. The problem is that my display blinks crazy
> after the kernel boots. I guess the TVIA chipset is not supported by the
> kernel in the img file. However, the kernel boots correctly.
> Now, my idea was to compile my own kernel with support for the video
> chipset and build my own tftpboot.img file. However, I have no clue how
> to generate this img file...

I wouldn't bother. If the box has a serial port then put a null serial
cable in it, connect it to a working machine and use minicom. Do the
entire installation over serial console.

Then, once that's done, it's easier to compile a kernel on the machine
with debian installed on it, install the kernel and then just copy the
kernel image itself (whatever /vmlinuz points to) to your tftp directory
on your server machine. Make sure it's all named correctly and it should
Just Work.

That's how I managed to install debian on my 5 Sun SS5s which also have
no harddiscs (root over NFS!). Not the easiest thing in the world to
do...

Matthew
--
Matthew Sackman