Re: PXE netboot install attempt report (2003-05-06)

Hello Martin!

Martin Sjögren wrote:
> ons 2003-05-07 klockan 06.16 skrev Joe Nahmias:
> > No dhcp client found. I cannot continue.
> > This package requires pump or dhcp-client.
>
> That's...very strange, the netboot image should have pump installed. I
> don't understand why this didn't work.

If you look at the build log[0], it is not in the list of needed
packages (line 37).  Is this list auto-generated or is it a simple
matter of adding a line to a file somewhere?

> > 3) Couldn't create a swap partition.  As reported ad nauseum, mkswap
> > is once again missing from the image.  Can anyone say why the image
> > is back to using busybox instead of busybox-cvs?  Is there something
> > wrong with - -cvs to cause us not to use it?
>
> There have been problems with overwriting busybox-udeb with
> busybox-cvs, yes, but we're working on them, and Bastian has been
> fixing some bugs in busybox-cvs modutils code, but soon busybox-cvs
> will hopefully be up to speed and can be used on the boot medium.

OK, so I guess it is not worth reporting a bug against busybox then.

> > All in all, it's not so bad.  Two problems (1,3) are related to the
> > image itself, #4 is a simple patch to base-installer.postinst, and
> > the other two are real (new?) problems.  Let me know if you want me
> > to file bugs for the last two, and against which packages they
> > should go (2 is easy, 5 I don't know).
>
> 5 is, as it says, kernel-installer. I don't know what happened
> there...  The base-installer problem sounds really strange.

The base-installer problem is actually quite simple: the postinst is
trying to copy /target/etc/fstab without first checking if it exists.
When I initially filed a bug about this (#186443), I was told (or at
least it was implied) that this was a problem with partconf b/c it
didn't generate the file.  However, after further investigation, I am
now of the opinion that the problem is not with partconf (for not
generating the file), but with base-installer for blindly assuming that
it exists.  See the bug log[1] for the complete history and explanation.

Can we create an strace udeb and make it available for download via
anna?  It would greatly aid in troubleshooting segfaults.  Anybody else
think this is a good idea?  I'm willing to give it a try if someone will
point me towards documentation on how to create a udeb.  As it stands, I
will just file bugs against kernel-installer and kbd-chooser.

Joe Nahmias, d-i tester-at-large, DD wannabe

[[0] http://people.debian.org/~tfheen/d-i/images/2003-05-06/archive/netboot.log
[[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=186443