Re: Is it wise to use discover in d-i?

Is it only me being concerned about the state of discover?  Is there
anything more I can do to help?

Coudn't we use the RedHat discovering tool? I thing it's better under
development and support more hardware (RedHat needs to extend the
supported haradware everytime)

I took the time to see all those.
RedHat uses its own technology, Kudzu to do the hardware detection.

KNOPPIX uses another frontend to the Kudzu library, called hwsetup. Which is basically a quick&dirty frontend to the library, but does not (currently) support devfs at all. It uses basically a merge between discover-data and hwdata (from Kudzu) as hardware database, is small and is written in C.

I like discover because it is more configurable and usable from the command-line for specific need (even after booting).

BTW, it would be great to write a small tool for dummies to submit new, still unlisted, hardware.