Re: debian-installer - using devfs in the installed system

#include <hallo.h>
Bernhard R. Link wrote on Mon Dec 09, 2002 um 11:44:28AM:

> This design decision could exclude the segment between desktops and
> embedded things, where the only ways out are are serial-cards (and
> maybe some other things, for which getting a initial console would be
> even harder).

Maybe. And the solution is: fix the kernel to the right time. There is large
segment between desktops and embedded things that works fine with Devfs,
please do not try to scare us.

> I'm not saying devfs should not used at all. But the system should
> support using kernels without devfs, too.

The sense behind switching to Devfs is exactly this problem - getting rid of
painfull work of creating and maintaining the device files. Who is going to do
it? You. Feel free to do. I recommend switching to Devfs now and fixing its
bugs later.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.