Re: debian-installer - using devfs in the installed system

* Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> [021209 11:07]:
> It would be the best practice for us. Some strange multi-serial-port card is
> generally not essential for the installation, but missing some important
> device node of a harddisk is. Look at the current situation with /dev/i2o/hdX
> devices, we forgot to include that in Woodys B-Fs. Same may happen with Sarge.

This design decision could exclude the segment between desktops and
embedded things, where the only ways out are are serial-cards (and
maybe some other things, for which getting a initial console would be
even harder).

I'm not saying devfs should not used at all. But the system should
support using kernels without devfs, too.

But I have to admit, that I should not critice but get my cvs checkout
to the latest version and look what can be done...

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link
--
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve
nor will he ever receive either. (Benjamin Franklin)