Re: Creating NFS boot floppy?

Hi Scott

Well I'm new to this too, but I've done this in two ways.

Method 1 - editing existing:

Download an existing boot floppies (eg bf2.4) set, dd to floppy and mount
rescue.bin
i.e. mount -t auto -o loop rescue.bin /mnt
create a custom kernel flavour to meet your needs
Then replace linux.bin this with bzImage of the custom kernel you've created
i.e.
cp bzImage /mnt/linux.bin
run rdev.sh
umount /mnt

This will now allow you to boot to the appropriately flavoured kernel and
later allow you to copy it to the HD during installation.

Method 2 - roll your own:

I had to move on to method 2 because I wanted to run 2.4.19 with a very
cut-down kernel and you can't simply change kernel version with the above
method and bf2.4. It's a bit tricky to set up at first, but once it's
running it's great.

Download and unpack boot-floppies-3.0.23
Download and install kernel-package

kernel-package creates a .deb of your kernel (e.g. for me
kernel-image-2.4.19_custom.x.x.deb) & module etc - see readme for make etc

you then need to get boot-floppies to use this kernel when it creates the
boot floppies by placing it in
/archive/debian/local/ - there's a readme for info about all this.

in boot-floppies there are a few vars you'll need to change, namely kver in
setup, and you may want to comment out some of the lines in Makefile (for
example, I only leave $(MAKE) drivers.tgz, $(MAKE) resc2880.bin, $(MAKE)
tftpboot.img) - this saves a lot of time, as boot-floppies doesn't need to
create boot sets you don't want.

You'll probably have to make a few other amendments in some other scripts
(e.g. documentation) to get it all working sweetly but they don't pose too
many problems.

When you run make check, you may have a huge number of dependencies - just
apt-get what's required.

Hope this helps a bit.

David