Re: Creating NFS boot floppy?

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002 09:52:32 -0500
Scott Ehrlich <scott@ai.mit.edu> wrote:

> I am interested in trying to create and NFS-capable boot floppy.

> What steps are needed?  Where do I start?
>
> I have set up many Linux boxes before and have mounted drives, compiled
> stuff (including new kernels), etc, so I am not new to Linux - just new to
> creating boot floppies and the process behind it.

You can create nfsroot boot images with building kernel with
whatever options required for NFS-mounting, and then setting
the root device to /dev/nfsboot.

dd if=bzImage of=/dev/fd0
rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/nfsboot

where /dev/nfsroot is:

ls -l /dev/nfsroot
brw-r--r--    1 root     root       0, 255 Jan 22  2002 /dev/nfsroot

I cannot remember whether it was nfsroot or nfsboot or whether the name mattered.
The major/minor number of the device is probably important, and I think
/dev/nfsroot doesn't exist on a system per default.

which was documented in Documentation/nfsroot.txt in the kernel source tree in a
very detailed manner. :)

But I don't know if that's what you wanted.

You can also hack grub to netboot your kernel from network.

--
dancer@debian.org  http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer