Re: Redesigning disk-detect?

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> Well, I did not write it, just trying to get it working.  It shares a
> lot of code and structure with cdrom-detect.  If someone wants to
> redesign disk-detect, they should also look at cdrom-detect.

Yes it has the same problems.

> >  A driver floppy is a ext2 floppy with one file modules.tgz.  The
> >  content of modules.tgz is unpackaged in the installation system
> >  root directory.
>
> Is it the fact that disk-detect loads modules from floppies, or the
> fact that it lists how the floppy should look like that bothers you?

The fact that it doesn't use udebs is the killer. What if someone wants
to replace d-i's kernel with a custom kernel? They cannot just rebuild
the package with a new config file and put the udebs up on their mirror,
they now have to work out before the fact the format of these tarballs,
and put them on floppies.

--
see shy jo