Re: Woody Installation

* Axel Schlicht

I'll only answer stuff where I see that other's haven't answered.

| Tollef Fog Heen wrote:

| > Make a new initrd or compile your own kernel?
|
| No sources on my CD set. Will try and have al look at initrd

man mkinitrd is a good start.

| > you still need a kernel driver.
|
| Shouldn't lp alone do the work. Normally I compile my own kernel, but
| without sources...

I think you need both.

| > | How do I find out how to find out how to find out any information on
| > | anything in Debian?
| > Read the docs?
|
| Where to find them (debian specific) if you don't know where to
| start looking.  Serious question.

The install manual has a lot of information.
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-moreinfo.en.html
has some pointers.

| > We are not your servants.  We do our best.  Throwing shit in our face
| > is useless.
|
| Of course not. If it came over like that, sorry.
| The problems I have might also be the problems of others. Maybe
| providing more info during installation might make debian more
| appealing.

Sure, it's just a bit demotivating to mostly getting reports saying
«this doesn't work, this doesn't work», some in a quite harsh tone.  I
apologize for my harsh reply, I should have known better than to
answer that way.

| > | What happens if you accidentally hit no. Will the next scan delete the
| > I suggest you use dselect or aptitude, since you know what you want
| > and don't want.
|
| But the big question is: What's it called and where is it. As the
| CD-structure has greatly changed from a task / field-oriented to a
| first_letter_of_app_name-structure it's quite difficult to search no.
| apt-cache might not always be helpful.

aptitude is a package browser, similar to dselect (but has a lot
better UI).  There you can also peek at what the different tasks
depends on

| > | xdm? I don't want any graphical login.
| > Then don't install xdm.
|
| I never asked for them. During another installation (on my laptop) I was
| presented a menu from which to choose a gdm without a choice to say no,
| thanks, don't want this. Somehow it seems to default to installing a
| gdm.

The desktop task, most likely.  Please file a wishlist bug against
against {kdm,xdm,gdm} asking them to offer a choice «none».

| > | Binutils: Kernel link failure info. Nice. Affects which kernels? 2.2.*,
| > | 2.4.*
| > | 2.2.17 in Potato (2.2.r0) did link OK). Info should be saved to disk, so
| > | scribbling down again.
| >
| > It is.
|
| Where? And (once again) how do I find out if and where something is
| written?

It should be sent to root's mailbox, and it should have been
documented under /usr/share/doc/binutils (which I just checked, and it
doesn't seem to be).

| > Then I suggest you sit down and write that documentation.  Scratch
| > your own itch.
|
| I would be willing to do so, but as I hate programming, I won't read
| source code. If the programmers did provide at least a short (and
| complete) list of keywords and an outline of the way they intend their
| programs to work + how to find that list, I should be starting out quite
| soon.

(speaking for myself here): I suck at documentation.  If a person asks
how something works (or is supposed to work), I can tell them, quite
well, but there is something which makes it hard for me to write
decent docs.  If somebody like you came along and asked all those
questions, I'd be happy to answer.

| > uhm, what OS does _not_ have a CVS client those days?
|
| But: I cannot connect using Linux, and it's not possible to do so under
| Windows. So offering a second way of accessing them might be a good
| idea.

WinCVS?  Or, you can download them off the web using viewCVS (the web
interface), though the latter is most likely quite painful,
considering the number of files.

| In closing.
| Imagine somebody new to Linux. Wouldn't you too like Linux to be easier
| to install. the more information you find during installation, the
| easier it will be to install. Information available AFTER you installed
| will not be accessible while you install. So my plea here is to provide
| more of it during installation.

Indeed.  Which is why I am spending a lot of time rewriting the
installation system right now. :)  It'll be a lot better.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-