Re: i18n requires setlocale

On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 06:49:54PM +0200, Martin Sj?gren wrote:
> s??n 2002-09-08 klockan 17.31 skrev Junichi Uekawa:
> > No templates should be in UTF-8.
> > They need to be converted from their local encoding to
> > the UTF-8 on the fly, or on creation of udebs.
>
> Why can't they be in UTF-8? My "local encoding" *is* UTF-8 (unless I
> misunderstand what you mean). And on-the-fly conversion is something
> that I want debconf to do, but it also requires specifying the encoding
> in the templates files. But I don't see the importance of templates not
> being in UTF-8. Precious few editors don't support UTF-8, and even if
> someone happens to use an editor that doesn't, there's iconv. Gtk 2 and
> hence Gnome 2 use UTF-8 for all text and po files, so it's not as if it
> can't be done.
>
> > We used po files for boot-floppies, and I think it was quite easy to
> > maintain, as far as po files went. But I'm used to po files.
>
> I'm used to po files too, being a member of the Swedish team in the
> Translation Project. Using po files is simple enough for a translator
> (and fairly well documented).
>
> > Note that debian-installer goes very far back from boot-floppies in
> > respect to i18n.
>
> Exactly, and since i18n is such a complicated matter, it makes sense to
> use what has been produced by others who have thought a lot about it
> (e.g. gettext) instead of producing something ourselves that may or may
> not be good enough.
>
> > boot-floppies worked around the size constraints by loading
> > locale information from file on CD-Rom, if it was available.
> > (xlp.tgz).
>
> Nod. I'm not 100% up to speed on what the single floppy is supposed to
> be able to do (bootstrap for systems that can't boot from CDs and
> netinstall I suppose, but what else?)
>
> This is "a tough nut to crack" as we say in Sweden.

For floppy installs, why not plan on having a floppy version available
in each language rather than trying to do a multilingual floppy?

|      <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>     |
|        debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>       |
|                  To Have, Give All to All (ACIM)               |