Re: Please test this woody cd image

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 08:31:55PM +1000, Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> was heard to say:
> Additionally, it's very easy to test: find random systems, reboot them
> with the small CD Raphael's prepared and check you can get into the
> installer. You don't need to go all the way through the install, nor
> worry about damaging your system at all -- as soon as you get to the
> pretty installer screens, you're done.

  Works here.  (this is a newish system I built myself, with an Abit
motherboard and a flaky Iomega CD-R drive)  I'll try it on some friends'
systems later today, assuming they don't run and hide when they see me
coming with a CD :)

  I even went through most of the install process, nearly giving myself
a heart attack when I rebooted and /home was missing.  (the partition
numbers shifted around when I ran fdisk, apparently; adjusting fstab fixed
that)

  I'll assume there's a good reason for using the kernel framebuffer in
the bf2.4 disks (it was very slow on my computer), but (at the risk of
inviting a massive flamewar) I'm wondering whether it might be a good idea
for the default language to be English?  I don't know how the userbase
is distributed, but if it resembles the distribution of developers at
all, most people will want to have an English (or maybe German) installation.
  (some fraction of people, regardless of nationality, will just
   hit Enter reflexively at the language selection screen, and making the
   default the most widely understood language [0] will minimize the total
   amount of confusion generated)

  Daniel

  [0] whatever that is; my impression is that it is some en_*, but
  whatever.

|          You are in a maze of twisty little signatures, all alike.          |
\---- News without the $$ -- National Public Radio -- http://www.npr.org ----/