Re: Bochs can be helpful for bootdisk testing

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Robert Millan wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 12:31:06PM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> > #include <hallo.h>
> > Robert Millan wrote on Fri Apr 12, 2002 um 12:27:46PM:
> >
> > > Also there have been some major reworks to make configuration easier,
> > > so while you are at testing bootdisks you can test bochs and ensure
> > > that it'll be working well for Woody. :)
> >
> > It sucks. It takes forever to install the system, apparently the disk IO
> > operations are unbuffered. Any way to tune it?
>
> Not that i'm aware of; upstream is actively working on performance though.

Bochs is improving every day. My solution to some of the speed problems
was to run it on a faster machine (my Ultra) but even that has plenty of
room for improvement...

> You can tipically boot the installation system in 3 minutes, depending
> on the depth of test you're doing it can work quite well.

I've seen times a bit better than that. The point I would make is that
this is about the boot time for a 486/20.

Also, since this is a full emulation, unlike vmware or plex86, both of
which rely on specific Intel hardware being present, it can be run on
other than Intel hardware.

So, I think "sucks" is a bit harsh ;-)

> But don't do any test beyond untarring the base system :)

Beg pardon?

I can get well into the reboot install phase. My only current problem
getting clean screen shots is the pesky "neighbor table overflow" error
that the current kernel is prone to spit all over the screen. I may have
to resort to the Gimp to fix some of these, as I've not yet gotten a clean
shot at several important screens...

In any case, those particular problems are not the fault of bochs, since
the kernel works the same way on real hardware.

Robert, are you aware of any roadblocks to completing a simple
installation? I haven't seen any yet...

Waiting is,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-