Re: Still unable to 'Initialize a Linux Partition' with bf 3.0.21

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 01:07:50PM +0100, Andreas W?st wrote:
> Hi Chris
>
> > On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 12:32:59AM +0100, Andreas W?st wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I've already reported this problem with bf-3.0.19 to both of these lists.
> >> On linux-apus-devel I was told this would be a kernel issue, but on
> >> debian-boot, Chris told me it would be a dbootsrap issue and should be
> >> fixed.
> >>
> >> Today I've downloaded the root.bin from
> >> http://people.debian.org/~aph/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/3.0.21-2002-03-13/apus/images-1.44/
> >> Adam built and replaced the 3.0.19 root.bin in the apus/images-1.44/ folder
> >> with the new one. Still using the 2.4.17 apus kernel.
> >>

> > How about trying mke2fs /dev/whatever from the virtual console 2?
> > Does that give an error message?
> >
> > If that works, and you can mount it as root, at least you could go on
> > with the install.
>
> Thanks for the input!
>
> Yep, or I could first boot into the installer system using kernel 2.4.9, then
> 'Initialize...', reboot, start again with 2.4.17, mount the already
> initialized partition an then proceed normally.
>
> But it was merely to report the bug that I posted here. I wouldn't like a
> newbie having to do such things.
>
> Should I file a bug against the boot-floppies? Or is it enough to have it
> reported this way? I just did not want to file a bug yesterday because
> bf-3.0.21 haven't been officially released yet.

It's best to file a bug, else it will get lost. And it would still be
good troubleshooting information to determine whether it does work from
the console, or what errors it gives.

If reporting a bug, be sure to use reportbug or else take care to include
your machine description, the fact you saw the same thing in different b-f
revisions, etc.