Re: Still unable to 'Initialize a Linux Partition' with bf 3.0.21

Hi Chris

> On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 12:32:59AM +0100, Andreas W?st wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I've already reported this problem with bf-3.0.19 to both of these lists.
>> On linux-apus-devel I was told this would be a kernel issue, but on
>> debian-boot, Chris told me it would be a dbootsrap issue and should be
>> fixed.
>>
>> Today I've downloaded the root.bin from
>> http://people.debian.org/~aph/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/3.0.21-2002-03-13/apus/images-1.44/
>> Adam built and replaced the 3.0.19 root.bin in the apus/images-1.44/ folder
>> with the new one. Still using the 2.4.17 apus kernel.
>>
>> But, unlucky me, nothings seems to have changed, the bug still appears,
>> and so I still can't Initialize a Linux partition.
>>
>> I've quoted myself in the following lines just to give a short overview
>> over the problem itself:
>>
>> [First thing is,] that it is not possible to execute the point "Initialize
>> a Linux Partition". After selecting this point in the menu, the screen
>> goes white, and the installer system restarts!
>>
>> On console 3 I could read:
>>
>>    Mar 3 ... (none) user.info init: Process '/sbin/udbootstrap' (pid 140)
>> exited. Scheduling it for restart
>>
>>    Mar 3 ... (none) user.info init: Starting pid 146, console
>> /dev/console: '/sbin/udbootstrap'
>>
>> Here I have to say that it now also didn't want to work with a virgin disk
>> without an already valid root partition (but of course already partitioned
>> from the AmigaOS side).
>>
>> I wonder about this, because the 'Initialize..' part worked perfectly well
>> with an 2.4.9 apus kernel (but this isn't much use to me, as 2.4.9 doesn't
>> support dhcp, and so I can't install the rest of the system after the
>> reboot *snif*).
>>
>> I hope you can see my dilemma: kernel 2.4.9 is the only one which supports
>> my NIC and I can 'Initialize...', but it doesn't support DHCP. 2.4.17 does
>> support my NIC and DHCP, but I can't 'Initialize...'..
>>
>> ps: Why are the driver-1.bin and rescue.bin files in .../apus/images-1.44/
>> still built, although they doesn't seem to be needed?
>>
>> pps: Does the new color of the selection bar really have to be red? It
>> gives a very bad contrast with the underlying text. Lucky me I've already
>> tried to install debian that much that I can recall the selection lines
>> from my mind.
>>
>> And oh, concerning the ongoing 'malformed release file' discussion: I very
>> often got this message in the last few weeks (when I've been trying to
>> install with other kernels than 2.4.17, but, as I said, no success with
>> them, because of the lacking dhcp support..)!!
>>
>> --
>> Thanks for any idea, kind regards,
>> Andi
>
> How about trying mke2fs /dev/whatever from the virtual console 2?
> Does that give an error message?
>
> If that works, and you can mount it as root, at least you could go on
> with the install.

Thanks for the input!

Yep, or I could first boot into the installer system using kernel 2.4.9, then
'Initialize...', reboot, start again with 2.4.17, mount the already
initialized partition an then proceed normally.

But it was merely to report the bug that I posted here. I wouldn't like a
newbie having to do such things.

Should I file a bug against the boot-floppies? Or is it enough to have it
reported this way? I just did not want to file a bug yesterday because
bf-3.0.21 haven't been officially released yet.

--
Kind regards,
Andi