Re: Where O where is my basedebs.tgz?

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 10:03:13AM -0500, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 06:49:08AM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> >
> > the only solution is building basedebs.tgz only with the version of
> > debootstrap that the latest build of b-f used.  or accepting the fact
> > that you have to rebuild b-f every time debootstrap updates its base list.
> debootstrap is used in the bf build? I don't think its bad to rebuild then.

no, debootstrap.deb is extracted and put on the root floppy.

> Unless of course there is a new debootstrap package every other day...

only when its NMUed.

> But what about adding this list to the bf build, so that the basedebs script
> could look at the script (since its installed in disks,arch> with all the
> other files) and build the "right" basedebs. This list will not take up MBs
> of space, will it? (no, I did not look at the script right now).

b-f could copy /usr/lib/debootstrap/scripts/woody to somewhere i
suppose, but that is really ugly and will still fail if debootstrap is
changed in some other fundemental way that makes it incompatible with
old scripts.

> Install a deb, then delete it from /var/cache, install next deb, delete it.
> That way you need a minimum of extra space, and not twice the space. After
> all, you do not need the deb anymore after it has been installed? I know,
> its nice to still have it there as a backup, but its not _needed_?

again permission needs to be asked first. and there isn't much way for
debootstrap to ask questions through dbootstrap.

and asside from that i think debootstrap needs the .deb around for
longer then you might think, it cycles through reinstalling some
packages until things get into a sane state, but id have to check
whether that process requires the .deb or not.  adding deletions in
the middle of it sounds messy to me.

> > base-config is already blindly erasing it, the maintainer refuses to
> > fix that for those who don't want it erased.
> But only _after_ everything has been installed? That doesn't help "my"
> problem.

yes.  so it seems that base-config is not only ignoring the possible
wishes of some users its doing so for no good reason at all.

> No it can, as I described above. I have reports from several people doing

then why does debootstrap need to optionally delete packages as it
goes? if the base debs in /var/cache are not a problem when what is?

> that by hand, so it should be possible (optional, maybe only after setting a
> special compile flag, or only on m68k or whatever) to do that automatically
> as well. Or to tell the user he is running out of space which could cause
> the installation to fail, instead of bombing out.

there is already a bug on debootstrap to do better space prediction, i
thought about ways to implement something like that but its really
non-trivial.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/