Re: Where O where is my basedebs.tgz?

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 08:01:12AM -0500, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> > 'debian/rules basedebs' from an unpacked source tree. Hrm.
> Building them is arch independent, right? So a cronjob on auric could build
> them for all arches. No big up-/downloads involved, since all the files are
> already on that machine. IIRC the unofficial basedebs where all build on one
> machine, why not stick to that?

only problem with it is the basedebs.tgz needs to match the
debootstrap it will be used with.  so if debootstrap gets updated and
the basedebs.tgz gets regenerated with that version any old build of
boot-floppies won't be compatible with the new basedebs.tgz.  (only if
the base lists changed)

> Oh, and I got a feature request, people with old macs ran into space
> problems with the basedebs when they are first downloaded (maybe even the
> whole basedeb), then unpacked (/var/cache) then installed. They take up
> triple space, which _is_ a problem for machines which could install potato
> just fine. Is there a way to delete files from /var/cache after they have
> been installed? Right now people do this by hand, not a problem, since the
> machines are so slow, but this means you have to babysit the whole
> installation...

anything doing this must ask permission first, some of us needs those
files.

but keep in mind that basedebs.tgz is never downloaded, network
install via basedebs.tgz is not supported, the only time you will end
up with both the .debs and basedebs.tgz on the root partition is when
you install via a pile of floppies.  otherwise its simply unpacked
from whatever partition, or NFS mount you are accessing it from.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/