Re: Where O where is my basedebs.tgz?

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 05:34:14PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 11:13:28AM -0700, David Kimdon wrote:
> > so where should basedebs.tgz be placed? Where should it be created?
> > I suggest that the boot-floppies build create it and it be placed in
> > dists/potato/main/disks-$(arch)/current/
> > just like baseX_X.tgz used to be.
>
> Agreed with where it should be placed, but it's not quite so clear
> where it should be created: it needs to be (well, ideally would be)
> updated with every upload of either debootstrap, or any package in base.
Please do not create it from the boot-floppies build. Building them on m68k
already takes soooo much time and the upload is quite large. I do not want
to download an additional 20MB, "reformat" those files and upload them
again. Might even give me some space problems here. I whish the
boot-floppies where modularized a little more, ie a lot of time is spent
during building the documetation, I don't see why this should be arch
dependent? Adding another timehog will increase the turnaround time for
building/testing bootfloppies even further, which is a concern for me, when
it already takes 24h now.

> On the upside, it's simple to create them, given an installed copy of
> debootstrap. Hrm, I probably should change that so that you can just run
> 'debian/rules basedebs' from an unpacked source tree. Hrm.
Building them is arch independent, right? So a cronjob on auric could build
them for all arches. No big up-/downloads involved, since all the files are
already on that machine. IIRC the unofficial basedebs where all build on one
machine, why not stick to that?

Oh, and I got a feature request, people with old macs ran into space
problems with the basedebs when they are first downloaded (maybe even the
whole basedeb), then unpacked (/var/cache) then installed. They take up
triple space, which _is_ a problem for machines which could install potato
just fine. Is there a way to delete files from /var/cache after they have
been installed? Right now people do this by hand, not a problem, since the
machines are so slow, but this means you have to babysit the whole
installation...

Christian