Re: installation troubles!

Webcabbage@aol.com writes:

> think). I set L:\ to my bootable linux 'native' (83), and my J:\ to 82. I
> created an emergency disk when setup prompted. Anyway, I tried restarting
> without the floppy. It all went fine until it got to "Verifying DMI pool
> data", (normally it would then start win me), but then instead of giving me
> the choice of Linux/windows it just prints 01 01 01 01 01 01
> continuously.

The system isn't clever enough to install a DOS/Windows menu for the
boot loader (LILO).  Assuming you put lilo on the boot sector of the
boot disk, you'll have to manually configure that.  See the LILO
howtos and stuff on www.linuxdoc.org.

> I then reset using the emergency disk that setup had
> created. Another setup jobber. It wanted my isp's details - well I
> use AOL, so it couldn't just dialup. So i left the fields blank. I
> then setup my debian username/passwords. Anyway - it reset again, so
> I tried without the floppy.  same problem 01010101.... I restarted
> with the floppy - Debian name: ___ prompt thing. I enter my username
> Debian pass: ____ prompt thing. I enter my pass.  Login
> incorrect... I know the pass is right! I had typed it and verified
> it seconds before!

Are you logging in as root?

> Anyway - I tried to boot with the Win me
> emergency disk so I could send this e-mail, but system files are
> missing leading to blue death and "system halted". So now my pc
> can't run windows and can't run Linux.  bummer.

What's that about?  did you format some partitions that you shouldn't
have?  OUch.  Maybe some disk letters moved around in Windows -- you
can generally correct that manually with the disk properties in the
explorer.

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onshore.com.....<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>