Re: installation troubles!

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 05:52:02AM -0400, Webcabbage@aol.com wrote:
> without the floppy. It all went fine until it got to "Verifying DMI pool
> data", (normally it would then start win me), but then instead of giving me
> the choice of Linux/windows it just prints 01 01 01 01 01 01 continuously. I

Did you install LILO into the MBR on the first disk?  Was there an
"L" at the very beginning of the "01"s?  (I know it's hard to see -
the screen fills up so quickly ...)

If the answer to both is yes, then lilo is getting a BIOS error when trying
to load its second stage.  I suspect your BIOS doesn't like 30GB disks.

Make sure you don't have "boot sector virus protection" on in your BIOS.

It can also happen if you are using an old version of LILO - what version
of the boot-floppies are you using?

> username/passwords. Anyway - it reset again, so I tried without the floppy.

Do you mean the system just suddenly crashed?  Nasty.

FWIW, Debian on the second drive works fine for on my 450MHz K6-II (Via
MVP-3 mainboard).  My second drive is only 4GB, however.

Mark.