installation troubles!

Hi,

    I finally decided to try installing Debian on my PC, alongside Windows
Me. However, all went wrong!

My system

My system is 450mhz AMD k6-II, 64mb sdram. I have 2 hard drives, one being
~2gb, and the other 30gb divided into 2gb partitions (to avoid using large
disk support), drives D thru Q, with drive C as the other harddrive. Windows
Me boots of Drive C.

What I have done
In accordance with the help file thingy on the net, I downloaded
Rescue.bin
Root.bin
Linux.txt (kernel)
Loadlin.exe
That drivers file thing

I am using Vanilla flavour. I made sure that I downloaded the right files in
accordance with that. I then made floppies (using rawrite2) of Rescue.bin and
of Root.bin all of the other files I saved onto my L:\ drive keeping the
directory structure of the ftp server.
I put in the rescue disk and reset. The rescue disk worked fine. It requested
the boot disk , so I put that in. I went through all of the setup fine (i
think). I set L:\ to my bootable linux 'native' (83), and my J:\ to 82. I
created an emergency disk when setup prompted. Anyway, I tried restarting
without the floppy. It all went fine until it got to "Verifying DMI pool
data", (normally it would then start win me), but then instead of giving me
the choice of Linux/windows it just prints 01 01 01 01 01 01 continuously. I
then reset using the emergency disk that setup had created. Another setup
jobber. It wanted my isp's details - well I use AOL, so it couldn't just
dialup. So i left the fields blank. I then setup my debian
username/passwords. Anyway - it reset again, so I tried without the floppy.
same problem 01010101.... I restarted with the floppy - Debian name: ___
prompt thing. I enter my username
Debian pass: ____ prompt thing. I enter my pass.
Login incorrect... I know the pass is right! I had typed it and verified it
seconds before! Anyway - I tried to boot with the Win me emergency disk so I
could send this e-mail, but system files are missing leading to blue death
and "system halted". So now my pc can't run windows and can't run Linux.
bummer.

What now? Help! I'd be grateful for any assistance!

Yours,
Rob Compton
(ps: i sent this e-mail from another pc if u were wandering...)