Re: Problem installing woody w/usb keyboard

Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> writes:

> #include <hallo.h>
> Adam Di Carlo wrote on Sun Dec 30, 2001 um 12:32:54PM:
>
> > In any case, we already do support that vast majority of machines
> > which have USB keyboard support enabled in the BIOS such they are
> > simulating a normal keyboard.  I've tested this personally and it
> > works fine.  See your BIOS documentation.
>
> The emulation must be enabled, of course. Otherwise you won't be able to
> press Return on the Syslinux prompt.
> But this emulation seems to fail with Linux in many cases. I discovered
> the following behaviour on my Athlon machines:
>
>  - if the kernel has no USB support compiled in and only a USB keyboard
>    is attached, the BIOS emulation seems to work in few cases. Sometimes
>    the emulation begins to work some minutes after the system start.

Well, you say a few, but on the machine I was testing on, there was no
problem.  This is what I was asking Chris to document in the "bios
setup" section of the i386 installation manual.

>  - if the kernel has no USB support and an USB _and_ a usuall AT
>    keyboard is attached, the BIOS emulation seems to work in most cases.
>  - If the usb{,-core,-uhci,-ohci,kbd} drivers are compiled in,
>    everything works fine except of the one dumb prompt to insert the
>    root disk which appears before the USB stuff is loaded. See
>    http://bugs.debian.org/122613 for details.
>
> Mainboards are well-known Epox models.
>
> > Chris, this needs documenting in the "perparing your hardware" section!
>
> Yes. But I think most people have allready enabled it, otherwise they
> cannot install any operating system.

It's dangerous to make assumptions.  The machine I was testing on did
not have this enabled by default.