Re: Problem installing woody w/usb keyboard

#include <hallo.h>
Adam Di Carlo wrote on Sun Dec 30, 2001 um 12:32:54PM:

> In any case, we already do support that vast majority of machines
> which have USB keyboard support enabled in the BIOS such they are
> simulating a normal keyboard.  I've tested this personally and it
> works fine.  See your BIOS documentation.

The emulation must be enabled, of course. Otherwise you won't be able to
press Return on the Syslinux prompt.
But this emulation seems to fail with Linux in many cases. I discovered
the following behaviour on my Athlon machines:

 - if the kernel has no USB support compiled in and only a USB keyboard
   is attached, the BIOS emulation seems to work in few cases. Sometimes
   the emulation begins to work some minutes after the system start.
 - if the kernel has no USB support and an USB _and_ a usuall AT
   keyboard is attached, the BIOS emulation seems to work in most cases.
 - If the usb{,-core,-uhci,-ohci,kbd} drivers are compiled in,
   everything works fine except of the one dumb prompt to insert the
   root disk which appears before the USB stuff is loaded. See
   http://bugs.debian.org/122613 for details.

Mainboards are well-known Epox models.

> Chris, this needs documenting in the "perparing your hardware" section!

Yes. But I think most people have allready enabled it, otherwise they
cannot install any operating system.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Lambda-Kalkuel ist fuer Hacker so was wie das, was fuer Jedis "Die Macht"
darstellt. Das, worauf man zurueckgreift, wenn man ganz abartig schwierige