Kernel hangs, can't install

Hello,

I don't know if this is the right place, but...

Trying to install woody on an old 486 (24MB), the 'vanilla'
kernel hangs.
The last things I see on the screen are:

PCI: probing PCI hardware
Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.2
Based upon Swansea University ...ect.pp...
unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual adress
c180002c

It then fills the screen with a lot of figures that mean nothing to
me.

As there anything I can do? The boot disk's help says I shall
file a bug report if that happens, but I want to hear some other
opinions first (btw: how can I check wether someone already
has filed this bug?)

cu,
Schnobs