Re: failed installation debian-mipsel (Decstation 5000/150)

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> At first the installation misses a short "Howto boot a decstation over
> the net" which is not that trivial.

 It depends on how you are doing it...  For me MOP appears to be piece of
cake now that you can boot ELF directly. :-)  Nothing to configure, just
copy the kernel to the mopd home directory.  The drawback is MOP cannot
pass routers.

> At least this should be mentioned:
>
> echo 4096 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/neigh/eth0/retrans_time

 Is it needed for TFTP?  What for?

> and something along that you need to set a console as the kernel is not
> able to autodetect the console.

 You mean the serial console?  Well, that's surely not detectable, but the
console on the VT seems to be detected fine.

> The kernel hangs for me at the detection of the LK Keyboard (which
> is not attached)

 Yep, the timeouts are definitely too large even for the patient... ;-)
If you waited for a few minutes, it should boot anyway.  I'll prepare a
fix.