Re: Kernel hangs, can't install

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 02:35:08PM +0100, schnobs@babylon-kino.de wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I don't know if this is the right place, but...
>
> Trying to install woody on an old 486 (24MB), the 'vanilla'
> kernel hangs.
> The last things I see on the screen are:
>
> PCI: probing PCI hardware
> Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.2
> Based upon Swansea University ...ect.pp...
> unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual adress
> c180002c
>
> It then fills the screen with a lot of figures that mean nothing to
> me.
>
> As there anything I can do? The boot disk's help says I shall
> file a bug report if that happens, but I want to hear some other
> opinions first (btw: how can I check wether someone already
> has filed this bug?)

Have you tried the idepci or compact flavor (check the install manual
for the differences). The vanilla flavor has a bunch of drivers, tehy
may be confusing your machine.

After you have Linux installed, you can use reportbug, it knows a lot
of stuff. But you can also see bugs on the web at bugs.debian.org, for
booting problems tack on /boot-floppies.

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |      Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com      |
|   `-    |            May the Source be with you                |