Re: failed installation debian-mipsel (Decstation 5000/150)

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 01:43:10PM +0100, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> > At least this should be mentioned:
> >
> > echo 4096 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/neigh/eth0/retrans_time
>
>  Is it needed for TFTP?  What for?

The decstation fails to answer ARP requests while downloading. From
kernel 2.2 on the arp entries expire faster which lets the tftp download
fail somewhere in the middle.

> > and something along that you need to set a console as the kernel is not
> > able to autodetect the console.
>
>  You mean the serial console?  Well, that's surely not detectable, but the
> console on the VT seems to be detected fine.

It might be detected from the prom env var "osconsole".

> > The kernel hangs for me at the detection of the LK Keyboard (which
> > is not attached)
>
>  Yep, the timeouts are definitely too large even for the patient... ;-)
> If you waited for a few minutes, it should boot anyway.  I'll prepare a
> fix.

It didnt - I at least let the machine wait for 15-20 Minutes while
digging the code...

Flo
Nine nineth on september the 9th              Welcome to the new billenium