Re: libm on root-filesystem?

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001 10:45:54 +0200
"Thimo Neubauer" <thimo@debian.org> wrote:
> Right now the size of root.bin is 1717580 bytes :( I put all my hope
> in getting libm to shrink because its size is 577440 bytes
> (uncompressed)[1] and 303227 bytes in compressed form (gzip --best on
> the file). Now if we just substract that from the above we would have
> a compressed root of 1414353 bytes :) Ok, this is a very coarse
> estimation but it could work out...
> [1] the unreduced libm is 665710 bytes big which made me wonder in the
>     first place :)
What about compiling some stuff against uclibc, i started looking into as
shown below, downside is i dont know if uclibc can be reduced with
mklib.sh, and uclibc is still a work in progress.

I guess it would have to be an all or nothing situation, uclibc or

slang compiles cleanly against uclibc, didnt test its functionality

397169 libslang.so.1.4.4 (glibc)
337944 libslang.so.1.4.4 (uclibc)

So as a shared object it is smaller, this is its dependencies.

ldd /lib/libslang.so.1.4.4
	libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6
	/lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2

ldd ./libslang.so.1.4.4
	libdl.so.0 => /usr/i386-linux-uclibc/usr/lib/libdl.so.0
	ld-uClibc.so.0 => /usr/i386-linux-uclibc/usr/lib/ld-uClibc.so.0
ldd /usr/i386-linux-uclibc/usr/lib/libdl.so.0
	libc.so.0 => /usr/i386-linux-uclibc/usr/lib/libc.so.0
	ld-uClibc.so.0 => /usr/i386-linux-uclibc/usr/lib/ld-uClibc.so.0

uclibc has its own libm, but when compiled against uclibc it doesnt seem
to be linking to it. (im no expert on libraries, what did i miss?)

here is the size of unstriped uclibc libraries, in gziped and normal state
100627 ld-uClibc-0.9.5.so
 33443 ld-uClibc-0.9.5.so.gz
 30321 libdl-0.9.5.so
 10763 libdl-0.9.5.so.gz
841837 libuClibc-0.9.5.so
186411 libuClibc-0.9.5.so.gz
502033 libm-0.9.5.so
169196 libm-0.9.5.so.gz

the striped glibc libraries from the i386 boot disks are
654380 libc-2.2.3.so
278492 libc-2.2.3.so.gz
129252 libm.so.6
 55092 libm.so.6.gz

So it may not matter if uclibc isnt striped

If its worth consideration i could look into it further,
perhaps try and put together a handmade i386 root disk using uclibc.