Re: libm on root-filesystem?

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001 10:45:54 +0200
"Thimo Neubauer" <thimo@debian.org> wrote:

> Right now the size of root.bin is 1717580 bytes :( I put all my hope
> in getting libm to shrink because its size is 577440 bytes
> (uncompressed)[1] and 303227 bytes in compressed form (gzip --best on
> the file). Now if we just substract that from the above we would have
> a compressed root of 1414353 bytes :) Ok, this is a very coarse
> estimation but it could work out...

> [1] the unreduced libm is 665710 bytes big which made me wonder in the
>     first place :)

What about compiling some stuff against uclibc, i started looking into as
shown below, downside is i dont know if uclibc can be reduced with
mklib.sh, and uclibc is still a work in progress.

I guess it would have to be an all or nothing situation, uclibc or
glibc...

slang compiles cleanly against uclibc, didnt test its functionality
though.

397169 libslang.so.1.4.4 (glibc)
337944 libslang.so.1.4.4 (uclibc)

So as a shared object it is smaller, this is its dependencies.

(glibc)
ldd /lib/libslang.so.1.4.4
	libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6
	/lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2

(uclibc)
ldd ./libslang.so.1.4.4
	libdl.so.0 => /usr/i386-linux-uclibc/usr/lib/libdl.so.0
	ld-uClibc.so.0 => /usr/i386-linux-uclibc/usr/lib/ld-uClibc.so.0
ldd /usr/i386-linux-uclibc/usr/lib/libdl.so.0
	libc.so.0 => /usr/i386-linux-uclibc/usr/lib/libc.so.0
	ld-uClibc.so.0 => /usr/i386-linux-uclibc/usr/lib/ld-uClibc.so.0

uclibc has its own libm, but when compiled against uclibc it doesnt seem
to be linking to it. (im no expert on libraries, what did i miss?)

here is the size of unstriped uclibc libraries, in gziped and normal state
100627 ld-uClibc-0.9.5.so
 33443 ld-uClibc-0.9.5.so.gz
 30321 libdl-0.9.5.so
 10763 libdl-0.9.5.so.gz
841837 libuClibc-0.9.5.so
186411 libuClibc-0.9.5.so.gz
502033 libm-0.9.5.so
169196 libm-0.9.5.so.gz

the striped glibc libraries from the i386 boot disks are
654380 libc-2.2.3.so
278492 libc-2.2.3.so.gz
129252 libm.so.6
 55092 libm.so.6.gz

So it may not matter if uclibc isnt striped

If its worth consideration i could look into it further,
perhaps try and put together a handmade i386 root disk using uclibc.

Glenn