Re: [patch] debootstrap basedebs tarball support

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 12:38:39AM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> if you implement a --download-only in debootstrap the script i
> orginally wrote to build these tarballs will still work, just for
> reference i am attaching it here again.

Well, I'm entirely bored with hacking on debootstrap now, so an upload's
going in.

The new debootstrap supports --download-only which'll just download Packages
files and .debs and leave them sitting there ready for tarring up.

It also supports --unpack-tarball /path/to/foo.tgz which will unpack
foo.tgz or foo.tar in $TARGET. This is just a convenience feature for
dbootstrap, it's not something particularly interesting.

It also supports resuming better: if you ^C a debootstrap run, it'll
restart downloads exactly where it left off, rather than always
redownloading Release and Packages.

It supports a "null:" URL, for cases when further downloading isn't
possible. It's quite possible, although pretty pointless, to use
both --unpack-tarball and a http:// url.

It doesn't have a script to actually make base tarballs. Ethan's should
be usable, if you change a "cd", or if you unpack it yourself.

As far as dbootstrap is concerned, it should add a prompt for fetching
a basedebs.tgz: either putting it together from floppies, or having it
on a local hard drive, or possibly on NFS, or similar. If you're using
that method of getting the base debs, you need to call debootstrap with
an extra option, so the invocation will look like:

	debootstrap --unpack-tarball /path/to/tarball woody /target null:

. Otherwise everything should be pretty much the same.

Someone (Hi Ethan :) will want to build some basedebs.tgz's too. Should be
pretty straightforward. It should be possible to build basedebs tarballs
for all architectures from a single machine, too -- just use the --arch
argument. Untested, though.

I didn't get around to doing progress indication this time. Maybe next
round.

Cheers,
aj