Re: Patch not included in e2fsprogs 1.21.

Yann Dirson <ydirson@altern.org> writes:

> As for the packaging of those libs and of the binaries that were
> reduced, I'm not sure what would be best.  IIRC most stuff included in
> boot-floppies is taken right from real packages installed on the
> machine where they are built.  The e2fsprogs-bf I've built contains
> stuff in e2fsprogs, so mush conflict with him to be installed, which
> 1) is a pain for people building boot-floppies,

No, its not a pain for us.  We can build root to contain with one
package, while a conflicting package is locally installed.  It's no
big deal for us.

So I would recommend setting up conflicts/replaces as need, and
letting the e2fsprogs-bf package be for root-building only.

> 2) creates a package
> that noone should ever installed except for building boot-floppies.

Not even then :).  It's a package that is just used when constructing
the root disk.  I dont' think that will cause problems with us.

> Would it be OK to put them in some /usr/lib/boot-floppies so that they
> won't interfere with what is installed ?

That makes more work for us, but it's doable.  I mean, don't do that
as a favor to us, it's just going to make our life harder.

> Or to put that in a tar.gz in the pool, where the boot-gloppies
> built will know to find it ?

Ew, please, no.

> Or wouldn't it be best to have boot-floppies "apt-get source
> e2fsprogs" and run "debian/rules build-bf" instead ?

Ew, please, no.

> It would require some tweeking so that the bf package does not get
> built and uploaded into the dist, but it may be worth it.

I don't really see the problem with having an e2fsprogs-bf package,
just for root.bin, which no one should ever normally install...

This can be used in debian-installer too, as David points out.

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onshore.com.....<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>