Re: Kernel panic on CDROM install of potato

Nathan Crane <Nathan.Crane@asu.edu> writes:

> I have just recieved the following error message when installing
> potato for the first time.  I used the the line 'linux mem=128m' at
> the boot prompt.  My system is a K6-2 500 with 128m of RAM.  Other
> specifics cheerfully provided if it will help.

This is a kernel issue.  There are only a few courses open to you:

- file a bug against the kernel-image you are using

- surf the web and see if others have had this problem on your
  hardware, and found a workaround

- use a different set of boot-floppies.  For instance, if you were
  using the vanilla set (cd#1), try the idepci set.  See the
  documentation.

- try the woody version if you feel like testing whether it's fixed in
  a newer kernel (I think woody and Potato are pretty much using the
  same kernels now though)

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onshore.com.....<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>