Re: Patch not included in e2fsprogs 1.21.

On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 02:28:08PM +0100, Philip Blundell wrote:
> Actually, for boot-floppies' purposes it would be slightly better to build
> the shared library with non-PIC objects.  You may not have done it
> intentionally but it sounds like you got the right result. :-)

Hm... let me know when you're sure :)

As for the packaging of those libs and of the binaries that were
reduced, I'm not sure what would be best.  IIRC most stuff included in
boot-floppies is taken right from real packages installed on the
machine where they are built.  The e2fsprogs-bf I've built contains
stuff in e2fsprogs, so mush conflict with him to be installed, which
1) is a pain for people building boot-floppies, 2) creates a package
that noone should ever installed except for building boot-floppies.

Would it be OK to put them in some /usr/lib/boot-floppies so that they
won't interfere with what is installed ?  Or to put that in a tar.gz
in the pool, where the boot-gloppies built will know to find it ?  Or
wouldn't it be best to have boot-floppies "apt-get source e2fsprogs"
and run "debian/rules build-bf" instead ?  It would require some
tweeking so that the bf package does not get built and uploaded into
the dist, but it may be worth it.

Regards,
--
Yann Dirson    <ydirson@altern.org> |    Why make M$-Bill richer & richer ?