Re: boot disks 2.3.5

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 03:27:31PM -0700, Duane Powers wrote:
> Stephen R Marenka wrote:

> This applies to me precisely. Most of you probably saw my post earlier
> this morning, and after beating <most> of the stupid out of myself,
> I compiled a kernel properly, and managed to get into the install
> process. However, when I try to load the operating system, I'm running
> into trouble that isn't covered at all in the above url. Questions I
> have would include, do I need to modify the root.bin disk? if so, how?
> why? how about the driver disks? Do I need to do anything other than
> modules.tgz? Do I have to install via driver disks? I can't get that
> far, I am getting an error when I try to remount the rescue disk,at the
> "install operating system kernel and modules" step, telling me Unable to
> mount the Rescue Floppy. You may have inserted the wrong floppy.  Please
> try again" which I can't find any information on, at least, not yet. I
> tried donwloading, from the net, but I get a wrong rescue disk error
> there as well, so now I'm lost.

I agree that the documentation isn't really suitable for newbies. On the
occassion I had to do this, I didn't need to modify the root.bin. I also
just grabbed the rescue and modules disks off the net to get through the
installation. I believe I ended up manually mounting my custom rescue
disk and copying the appropriate stuff into /boot. I also set the
/vmlinuz link manually and renamed the /lib/modules/xxx directory. The
renaming is because I was using the compact disk set which had
"flavored" kernels and my kernel was plain.

That's not very easy. What I probably need to do is go through the whole
process again, document it, and fix the documentation. Or better yet,
maybe someone else will come along and clean it up for us. :-)

> Again, I'm probably way out of my league here, but redhat just doesn't
> do it for me. <g>

Got that right!

<stephen@marenka.net>