Re: base*.tgz is gone, and why it's gone

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 07:07:00PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 02:41:01PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > but if aj wants base.tgz in all incarnations dead we shall have to
> > forgo hard disk and floppy installation methods.
>
> Why? The floppy and harddrive installation requires you to download
> images from a new connection. That being that case, it's safe to say you
> will have some sort of net connection to complete the installation via
> dboostrap.

i tend to agree, though there are some contrived cases where
installing via a base tarball without net access is useful.

for example i have a very slow internet connection and several
machines, i would like to download the base tarball once and then
reuse on each machine.  also after i install one and use apt-move to
make a mini mirror of the archive which other machines can use in
addition to the net access.  since all machines have mostly the same
packages installed at a minimum (priority standard) those will only
have to be downloaded once.

debootstrap doesn't like apt-move mirrors since they don't have
proper Release files.

i know there are other ways to work around this just none as
straightforward as downloading base.tgz and using it multiple times.

> If you don't have a net connection, use a CD install, since presumably
> just having base wont be enough in this case anyway.

thats the ideal method of course.  asside from getting a real internet
connection.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/