Re: base*.tgz is gone, and why it's gone

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 02:31:14PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Why is this better?  For one, it's going to be able to work with
> debian-installer, for sid release, since boot-floppies is going away
> in sid.  For two, its better because we don't have to create another
> boot-floppies release to capture updates in base.  We're able to turn
> around base fixes as easily as updating the packages in the archive.

sid will never be released, its forevermore unstable.  once woody
becomes stable we pick a new name for the next testing branch.

> Some have asked for some way to install base via floppies -- you'll
> have to take it up with AJ.  CVS for the debootstrap package is
> available in the same cvsroot as boot-floppies.  I'm happy to try to
> accomodate this on the boot-floppies side if the support is added to
> debootstrap and some split images provided.  However, AJ might not be
> willing to do this at all, since it will invalidate (for floppy
> install anyhow) many of the benefits above.

i think as far as an implementation detail goes creating a tarball
containing /var/cache/apt/archives of the base/required packages then
teaching debootstrap to extract it there and use the packages would be
fairly easy.  dbootstrap could take care of putting a broken up
tarball back together again in /tmp.

but if aj wants base.tgz in all incarnations dead we shall have to
forgo hard disk and floppy installation methods.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/