Re: 2.3.5 powerpc installation

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 06:43:37PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:

> Well one of the options is 'already mounted partition' so I thought that
> should be tested. You're right, it's probably not a common choice. That's
> interesting about the fstab; so if I manually mount an HFS disk during
> installation to read base from, it will automatically mount the same disk
> after I reboot into the new system? It's a feature.

i believe so yes, since its not different from mounting a partition
for /usr /home and such.  those must end up in fstab or else the first
boot won't go very far.

> There wasn't any base tarball in aph's powerpc-disks folder; I didn't think
> if I could do that out of order (without installing base first).

the base tarball is obsolete, install the base system now uses
debootstrap to install read debs.  an unfortunate side affect of this
is that you MUST install the base either via the network, from a
CDROM, or a ext2 partition with a full debian mirror.  crippled
filesystems need not apply since they cannot store long filenames.

personally i think debootstrap should support a tarball target so it
can take a base.tgz and extract .debs from it (as opposed to the old
method of extracting a precooked root filesystem out of base.tgz).

after i finish testing my latest round of b-f hacking ill look at
deboostrap and see how hard that would be to add, then ask aj if he is
open to accepting a patch for something like that.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/